Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Hot Dog

In my post yesterday about the 10 greatest sandwiches, I left off one very important item, the hot dog. To say I am a fan of this treat is an understatement (I once ate 9 at a Philadelphia Phillies Dollar Dog Day). While I do enjoy the Hot Dog, I have never considered it a sandwich. To you devotees of the dog I give you 5 fantastic ways to enjoy. Please note that this list is in no way a top 5 list. Every style of hot dog is wonderful and unique. No style is better than any other. This is list merely 5 ways that I have enjoyed eating hot dogs.

The Texas Tommy
A hot dog wrapped in bacon with American cheese on a standard roll

Crunchy, cheesy, chewy, delicious.The Chicago Dog
A jumbo hot dog with tomato, a pickle, neon green relish, onions, sport peppers, mustard, and a pinch of pepper and celery salt on a poppy seed roll


A classic style that is as close as it gets to a hot dog being a sandwich. I enjoy all the toppings but some might find it distracting from the dog.
The New Yorker
A hot dog (dirty water or grilled, your choice) with mustard and sauerkraut on a standard roll

Nathan's does this well. I like a natural casing on the hot dog, it makes for a better snap.The Chili Dog
A hot dog with chili and onions on a standard bun, cheese is optional

The Varsity (AKA the Slaw Dog)
A hot dog with cole slaw on a standard bun

This is a more southern style option. I am a fan of cole slaw on anything, I also add potato chips for a little extra crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment